The NFTD provides information on the location of forging tools for legacy weapon systems used by the DoD.
The NFTD links to over 200,000 tooling numbers, including manufacturers' part numbers and government NSNs. By working in collaboration with the Forging Defense Manufacturing Consortium, the Advanced Technology Institute, the University of Toledo, and Plexus Systems, S&P Global Haystack Gold helps resolve the supply chain problem, improve productivity, lower maintenance costs, and meet compliance and safety mandates.
To do a Forging Tooling search
- Click Database > Supplemental Databases > Forging Tooling.
- Type 16VL031-5 in the Part Number field, and then click Search.
The results list contains 35 hits.
- The search results information include the following:
- Refine Search - click to open the main search window while retaining your results list in the same window. With the main search window open, you easily add more information, such as a forge shop name.
- Summary - click the Details link in this column to view more detailed information about the part and the forge shop.
- FSC - lists the Federal Supply Class code, or the first four digits of an NSN.
- NIIN - includes links to the NIIN, a nine-digit number assigned to a part under the Federal Cataloging Program. When you click this link, a Details/Summary window appears that contains cross-referenced information, such as part number, vendors, links to specifications in which the part appears (if available), links to the Technical Characteristics, and more.
- Part Number - provides a link that launches a Super Search, which enables you to search across multiple databases and sub-databases for records with a given NIIN or Part Number.
- Forging/Die Nbr - if available, this column lists the actual forging or die number for the part.
- Shop Nbr - if available, this column lists the shop number for the part.
- Shop - if available, this column lists the name of the forge shop. If a name is listed, you click the Details link in the Summary column, and then the Details link in Shop References table to get more information about the shop, such as a web site address.
- CAGE - if available, this column lists the CAGE Code that is a company code which identifies the company as one that manufactures or distributes the item for procurement by the U.S. Government.
- Image - if available, this column links to an image of the part.
- Type - represents the tool type, such as “F” for a forging tool type.